Friday, August 29, 2008

Blustery night




We had the monsoon to end all monsoons last night! As I was leaving work around 8:30 it started to lightening. The entire sky was electrified with lightening bouncing from cloud to cloud. It looked like a strobe light in the sky. By the time I got home it was constant and very eerie. I told dh to go out and look because I had never seen anything like it. It reminded me of storms in the midwest before a tornado, but different. Dh was wowed. He said it was apocolypitic. This continued for about an hour with ds arriving. Dh and ds were standing out on the front lawn watching the storm when a torrential downpour began, then the wind began! OMG!! Our table outside flipped again, branches came off trees it was hailing sideways coming in thru the doggy door and pelting windows. The wind gusts were up to 100 mph, according to the news. That is hurricane force! We didn't sustain any major damage thank God. Power is still out all over the valley, roofs were torn off homes, huge trees uprooted and lots of flooding.

We have had more storm activity here than usual this summer, but lasts nights storm was the worst I have seen in my 26 years of living here.

2 comments:

Janette said...

They were the worst storms my mother had seen in 78 years in Phoenix. My sis called in the middle to ask about what it looked like before a tornado- she describe the storm before perfectly!
Blad you came out all right.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!