Thursday, July 17, 2008

:::::::sigh:::::::

My mom and dd#3 share a birthday which is Saturday. Mom will be 81 and Kris is turning 20. I called my mom and asked her if she would like to go to dinner on Saturday for her birthday. Nope. She already has her bridge plans. I know I shouldn't be upset, but.....EVERY time that I ask her to do something she already has plans that she "can't" break. She plays bridge every Wed, THurs, Fri and Sat. I work during the week so really can't make plans then. I am just really, really annoyed. I am her daughter. She sees these other ladies every week. I am lucky if I see her once a month. She isn't getting younger and I would like to spend some time with her. I guess my feelings are just hurt, really, really hurt. She was in Canada for the entire month of May and when she got back I asked her to have lunch or dinner, but nope, she had to play bridge, they were counting on her. I shouldn't be so upset, but I just can't help it.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Teresa,
Sorry that your mom doesn't want to go out with you. I guess she is just set in her routines and doesn't want to change them even for her birthday or daughter
{{{Teresa}}}

Anonymous said...

I think you have a right to be upset. I am sorry that your mom is blowing you off. Happy birthday to her and your dd as well.

Michelle said...

{{{{Teresa}}}} Your mom sounds a lot like my grandmother--lots of plans and sticking to her schedule. It sounds like it may be a generational thing? Maybe you could ask her about going out after bridge?

Janette said...

When my mother was very stressed about life,she began to play tennis. My children were babies and we traveled home to see nana and papa. Surprise to me- I was left home alone for many hours of the five days because my mother could not break her tennis dates(every day that I was there). Years later I discoverd that it was only tennis that kept her going through those dark times.
It isn't much consolation- but it was her way of saying she was important- important enough to be alive for-those people who depend on her day after day, week after week.
If I had to do it again- I would have made plans around tennis....
another words- don't take it personally.
My scary part is that my mother just quit every organization that she belonged to....at 78.