Sunday, September 9, 2007

Less is More

Has always been the way I have felt about alot of things in life. This subject has come up in planning my daughters baby shower. There are going to be about 75 people coming. We looked into doing it at some venue, but the prices were over our budget......WAY over our budget. So...since it is in Oct, the weather should be cooler (crossing fingers), and I have decided to have it at our home, in our back yard. Our back yard is HUGE, mostly lawn and can easisly accomodate tables and chairs for that crowd with extra tables for food and presents, and still have 1/2 the yard left over. My plan is to rent round tables set with blue and white cloths and just have really simple decorations. I thought the center piece would be balloons anchored by something for the baby, a box of wipes, shampoo and bath, that sort of thing. Then have some balloons on the gate, so people will know where to enter and that was about it.
I was talking to Chris' mom yesterday and her vision is MUCH different than mine. First off she said she is going to have "matching" shirts made for us with some kind of saying like "First time Grandma" or something. I am SO not that person. I didn't know what to say. Then she asked what time she should come over to decorate. I told her that the tables are being set up by the rental company and they will dress them too. So, I really don't think we would need more than an hour with the girls and her help. SHe was taken aback saying that it took her sister 4, yes 4 hours just to do the decorations for her babyshower. I don't know what could possibly take that long, but I am not doing it thats for sure. I hate to say this, and I am not a snob, but I think for her and her family more and overthetop is the norm . My dd is really stressed about this. I told her not to worry. I will only buy what we need, and there really will be nowhere to hang things as we don't have any trees in the yard, and we arent having a tent.I just hope that it will all work out and that someone accidentally spills something on the shirt I don't want to wear.

Nicole was in the hospital Friday and Saturday. She actually went on Thurs, because she was having back pain and her doctor told her to go in. THere weren't any contractions picked up, so they sent her home and had her see her doc the next day. Well, she is a silent dialator. She was at one cm and her back was still in alot of pain, so they sent her in to be put on Mag and monitored. She was on the mag for 24 hours and that seemed to stop things. So they tried her on oral meds which seem to be working and sent her home with strict bedrest instructions.We need 5 more weeks, 9 would be perfect.

Jeni has a new boyfriend and I really, really like him alot. He has a good job and is starting a new business. He is sweet and cute and seems to adore Jeni. She is very happy, although very busy. She is going to school full time and working full time. She works for a bank and the branch she is at is open on Sat and Sun, so she gets stuck working every weekend. I tld her that she has to insist to her boss that she needs a full day off, meaning either a Fri, Sat or Sun, at least twice a month. That girl is going to kill herself.

Kristin has been behaving herself........YAY, so much less stress on mom that way. She is going to school and not working at the moment. DJ also quit Carlos Obriens, so for the first time in 10 yrs, they don't have a member of my family working there.

I have a doc appt.on Thurs and get back the results from my CT and echo. I really am nervous. Breathing has been getting more difficult, more often. My muscles hurt and my hip is a constant source of pain. Lately my feet have been freezing. I think it is a circulation problem. I can wear 2 pair of socks and if I am sitting at my desk as work my toes still get numb. So numb that they actually hurt. I have to ask him whats up with that.
I am also hoping that he will agree to put me on disability or medical leave. Prayers will be appreciated.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

{{{{{{{{Teresa}}}}}}}} You have so much on your plate. First, I'll be praying for YOU, that whatever the CT scan shows, God gives you lots of grace to handle it. Praying your breathing isn't strained and that the doctor is able to help you with medical leave or disability. Praying hard for those!

Glad to hear about Jeni's new boyfriend and that Kristin is doing well too. :)

Praying that baby Kayden stays put for at least another 5 weeks.

As far as the baby shower goes....it's Nicole's shower....and your home. Just tell Chris' mom that the isn't you....that's not your style but that you appreciate the gesture.

Toni said...

(((((((((((((Teresa))))))))))))))))
You have my prayers. Did I forget to send you the gluten free diet info? OY!

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{Teresa}}}}}}}}}}}} What Michelle said . . . If Chris's mom was hosting the shower, she could do whatever she wants, since you are hosting, you can do whatever you want. I think it sounds lovely.

I am praying for good results from your tests.

Renee said...

I'm right there with Carrie and Michelle. You are hosting the shower so it's your way and Nicole's.
I am one for simple is better. Scott and I didn't even buy extra flowers for the church for our wedding - we just used what was there for Sunday Mass..... noone ever noticed there weren't "enough" flowers.